Hello from New Mexico! Year 9 already. Hard to believe that we started this journey with just Becca and I. Headed out our driveway into the great unknown that first year and now we are working on our final states. This trip will cover New Mexico, Texas (or some of it, someone made this state too big), Oklahoma (or the tiny piece that is above Texas), and Kansas (or enough to say we were in Kansas).
Most of you already know that this is not my neck of the woods so to speak. I do not like this area, I wont mince my words about it. Im not friends with death clouds and I like trees too much. Nonetheless, here we are, holding to it to see all 50.
There isnt much to report today. Travel, airports, heat. Its 101 here and dry as all get out. Im trying to make sense of the thunderstorms that roll in and rain in what looks like giant grey sheets, but nothing, I mean nothing is green. Curious. Does it just flash flood and run to Mexico? Where is all the water?
The Albuquerque (I cant spell it still without Siri) airport, is as small as I expected and in true adobe fashion. Its pushed up against some really tall mountains that I supposed could be pretty in the winter as they apparently get snow. Note for future reference, those mountains cause the air to do all sorts of things and the landing process was a bit like riding a 30,000 foot roller coaster. Pass.
We made only one true stop today. The singing road in Tijeras, NM. Yes you read that right. Those little rumble strips you see on the side of the road to tell you that you are about to go in the ditch? Those are carved in such a way that when driven over at precisely 45 miles per hour going eastbound only, it sings a portion of America The Beautiful. It took three tries to get it just right, but once there, it was worth the 30 minute drive out of our way. Turn your volume up to hear it in the video.
We stopped in Socorro, NM tonight. Interesting place. Walmart was an interesting stop. I think the residents here may be trapped by some unforeseen force. They should really try to get out a bit more. Aliens maybe?
Thats all, there are no other cool pictures. Tomorrow we head further out into the desert. Wish us luck!
Until later...
Singing road video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eCTk8Yp01A
Wednesday, July 18, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment