Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Year 8 Day 2

Day 2. Wyoming. What a beautiful state. I didn't expect so much beautiful scenery. Did you know Wyoming is the least populated state in the country?! True beauty out here. Rivers sparkling in the sun. Wildflowers blooming along the banks. Long winding roads meandering between mountain ranges. I'm gonna say it. Right up there with Alaska.

We started our day off in the granite hot springs. 10 miles in on a dirt road that followed granite creek. Rolling green hills. Wildlife. Perfect. We saw a mountain goat about 3 feet from the car. Cute little black horns and a curled tail. Lots of chipmunks and some deer. Even one swimming across the river. Once we came to the hot springs entrance, I was ready to move in. Secluded. Quite. Wild. Amazing. We soaked until people started showing up that looked like they might use the springs for their weekly $6 bath. Time to hit the road.

Next stop Grand Teton National Park. We entered from the south. The cold, gray, giants staring us in the face. Glaciers glued to their sides, wilderness all around. We looked hard for wildlife, but we didn't see any in the park. Too many people and cars I think. We had much better luck just taking off down a dirt road to nowhere. Nonetheless the park is a thing of beauty. When staying in a national park known for the outdoors, you must stay in a cabin. So we arrived at Colter Bay Village and creaked open the door to our 1 room, 3 bed cabin complete with red and white curtains. We got a stern warning about bears but have yet to have one visit. I'm more worried about the weird people walking past my windows than I am a bear.

It seemed only fitting to get out on that beautiful water backed by those mountains, so we boarded a boat for a dinner cruise to Elk Island. A quaint picnic dinner of fresh trout and steaks awaited us along with the most mosquitoes I have ever seen in one place. We sprayed before boarding the boat but as we disembarked I had at least 7 on one leg. We went through a half bottle of OFF in the 1.5 hrs we were there. Nasty little things. But the VIEW. Incredible. Becca has decided she doesn't care for trout (me much either). A dead Elk carcass greeted us at the bathrooms. Yum. Jumping and slapping we re boarded and headed back for a quietish (minus the people all around outside) night in our cabin.

Tomorrow we head north to Yellowstone!












No comments:

Post a Comment