Sun. Water, Boats and ICE! All aboard at 9am this morning. Fired up and ready to go we took out seats on the outside deck. Bundled up and cold. There were 8 hours ahead of us of water, ice, glaciers, wildlife and sun. It was amazing. Hands down the best so far.
Wildlife seen:
7 humpback whales
a ton of porpoise's
Otters
Sea Lions
jumping Salmon
Fin Whales (apparently rare)
Seals
Puffins
Tiny little birds that are cousins of the penguin (common mirrors?)
A ton of other birds
Jellyfish (Huge groups of them that change the color of the water)
When you approach a glacier that is 1 mile wide, 6 miles long and 400 feet tall and you are in a boat with ice chunks floating all around you. it is COLD. Your eyes hurt, your skin wants to crawl in a hole and you cant feel most of your fingers. Surreal and one of the most awe inspiring things I have ever seen.
We were served dinner on a private island called Fox island. Dinner was fresh salmon, prime rib and king crab legs. I was hoping the boat would leave me behind and I could live there permanently, but alas I came back to shore with everyone else.
What a perfect day. The water was like glass. The wind was low, the sun was out. Cant wait to see more of my new favorite state tomorrow.
Until then.
Wednesday, August 12, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment