Greetings from the beautiful state of Michigan
What a beautiful place, at least so in the fall. Things around us tell me that it gets down right cold and snowy here in the winter. While eating breakfast we learned that a tornado touched down near Detroit...um that was during the downpours we got...Detroit was to our east. Close enough thank you.
We left the sleepy little German town and headed north west toward Lake Michigan. The first point of interest was the tridge in Midland..three bridges that meet as one in the middle. The converge over a couple "creeks" which means River to us. A very chilly walk over each section but a perfectly crisp fall morning.
Since we don't eat nearly enough, we made our way to Claire, MI to eat some doughnuts at Cops and Doughnuts. It's a 100 year old bakery that was about to go out of business until the police department of 9 officers purchased it and took over the management. Doughnuts everywhere and the employees dressed like prisoners. Super cute.
With our bellies full we made way to sleeping bear sand dunes on Lake Michigan. None of us had seen any of the Great Lakes before in person. It's basically an ocean. Appears to have tides, the waves crash on the sand, it's deep and cold, and you can't see across. Very weird feeling. The brain says I'm at the ocean, but the map says otherwise.
Many back roads later through tiny towns decorated for fall, and one completely glass house, we found ourselves at the big sable point light house in lauding ton, MI. A three mile round trip walk took us down to the sandy beach to a light house constructed in 1896. We were able to climb all 160 steps to the top and walk around the outside. I reinforced that I'm not particularly fond of heights. What a view though!
Lunch eluded us today...I've been hearing about it ever since that I'm starving everyone....I assure you we had enough reserves to make it through, still we are off to dinner and then some swimming at the hotel pool. Lots of walking, climbing, and using muscles today. A dip in the hot tub will do us all well.
Tomorrow brings new adventures.
Traveling mama
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment